It takes courage to be a clown.
The greatest criticism of spiritual or religious people is that they take themselves too seriously.
Think Pharisees. What an uptight group of men. No sense of humor whatsoever.
Clowning around is a pathway to laughter. Look at all the spiritual traditions…they all have their jesters, their jokers, their holy fools.
These playful prophets encourage us not to take ourselves too seriously.
Without humor, life becomes oppressive and difficult. It is an essential element in spiritual health.
Did you know that children laugh as much as 100 to 200 times a day? Adults go from zero to only a few in a day. There’s something wrong with that equation. It’s time we adults lighten up and get in touch with the playful child within.
Humor is holy. It is healing. And it is downright fun.
Check out some of the benefits:
- lowers blood pressure
- conditions the abdominal muscles
- reduces the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline
- increases the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells
- increases antibodies in saliva that combats upper respiratory infections
- helps move nutrients and oxygen to body tissues
- and much more!